Worth It All

"Why would anyone do that?"

That was the question I had been asked.

"I mean really, why would you have six kids,...why?

Now this is a question of perplexity, to shape these words, to mold them into sense, to somehow show the Glory of the One.

It's hard sometimes, to tell the story of grace.

To tell how a life can be changed.

Changed, transformed, made into something altogether new.

Where do I start?

Do I start with the brokenness?  With me, the girl who said she'd never have children?

With me, the girl who wanted career success, to make a mark on the world, to be known.

With me the girl who was told at 16 that this endometriosis may cause me to never be able to birth babies of my own?

With me, the one who championed the cause of abortion rights, because I wanted to be free to choose.

How do you tell the story of a life, transformed?

How do you tell about the day He came and brought rescue for a life slipping away?

Darkness covering, suffocating. 

Downing in a sea of self and spiritual darkness.

The day He set me free.

Set me free from me.

And on that day, the day the One with the scars from the nails came and rescued me.

Me,  the one on the trash heap, the one filling my belly with the rotting spoils of this world and calling it good.

Me, the one sleeping on the broken glass, metal cutting, and calling it pleasure.

Me, the one wandering friendless and alone and calling it fulfilling.

He called me.

And He said, "Come, follow me.  Come and be mine.  Live in my house, it's not like this place.  My house is full of many rooms, all of them full of beauty not trash.  And you won't fill your belly with the rotting, only the Life, the Bread.  And you won't sleep in streets, but you'll dance in them.  Come."

And I said, "Yes, Lord I'll follow you.  I'm yours and you are mine.  I'll serve you forever, just let me be your servant."

But He said, "Yes, you'll serve me, but I don't call you servant, I call you friend.  And not just friend but daughter.  And not just daughter but everything I have is yours."

Mine?

The mansion, the Bread, the Life eternal, all mine?

How do you say thank you for that?

How do sing a love song for a Savior with your life?

They ask why I would do this?

This laying down of a life?

But I ask, why I would go back to eating trash, turning in the stomach, coming up vomitous, when I am offered treasure?

How can you refuse the love of such a Lover?

Why would I give Him everything?

Because He already gave it all to me.

And on the day I see Him face to face, I know I won't say, "Look at all the stuff I given up for you.  This career, that house, those dreams."

I won't say that.  Because that stuff, it's trash.

Paul said it too.

He said, "But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them trash, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own, that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ."

And I remember that it's never about what I can do for Him,

He already did it all.

And when you're in Christ there is no have to, only

Thank You.

Because He is worth it all.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Ungrateful Met Grace

The Habitation of Hope

When Love Rains Down