The Resolution You Might Be Looking For

One thing about sickness in your house, it makes you want to disinfect.

After a week of straight sick, with kids and hubby and lots of fevery flu, you just want to clean house. 




So last night late, when all the sick kids were finally resting, I started my cleaning spree.  Clorox and green cleaner galore.  And that's when it happened.  The light came on. 

I was in my bathroom working away with wipes when I looked up and noticed the vanity bulbs looked a tad dusty.  Just a tad, mind you.  Not a lot.  I hardly noticed it to tell you the truth.  But as I inspected closer I saw a thin layer of dust that covered the bulbs so completely that I really hadn't noticed that it was there.  Hadn't I just cleaned this before Christmas? 



Maybe it got missed, I'm not really sure, but all I know is that it surprised me.  So I climbed up and began to wipe away at this supposed thin layer of dust.  It turns out it wasn't thin.  There were layers of the stuff.  And as I began to wipe, this weird miracle happened. 

The light came on. 

Yes.  The light factor in the room suddenly increased by about two fold. 

What?

Had it really been this dark in here?

How could I not have noticed this?

I had been walking around in the dark and I didn't even know it. 

And suddenly I heard Him say, "No one lights a lamp and then hides it or puts it under a basket.  Instead a lamp is placed on a stand where its light can be seen by all who enter the house." Luke 11:33

How many times have I hidden His light that is within me?

As a believer in Jesus, the light of the Lord is always shining inside of me but how often does all my grime hide its shining?

So I go the Word, to hear more, because I know that this message is for me.  And I read, "Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body.  When your eye is good, your whole body will be filled with light.  But when it is bad, your body is filled with darkness.  Make sure that the light that you think you have is not actually darkness.  If you are filled with light, with no dark corners, then your whole life will be radiant, as though a floodlight were filling you with light." Luke 34:36

My goodness.  So, you can walk around in the dark and actually think it's light?

Yes.  I've done it.  And the thing is, that until the grimy grit gets noticed in your soul, it can cover a soul so completely that you'd never even notice it at all.  Until you lean in close and take a look at what's really dimming the light, it will just stay stuck. And you can even think you're pretty bright. 

Until a divine finger swipes a line a dirty filth off your bulb, and you exclaim, "How did that get there?"

Then you see the brilliance that is being blocked by sin's grime, and you cry, "Woe to me! I am ruined!  For I am a man of unclean lips living among a people of unclean lips." Isaiah 6:5

But there is One that washes dirty bulbs (and souls) whiter than snow.  His words turn darkness to light.  He comes to make all things bright and beautiful and even here in these days of January flu, to make us new again. 

In this season of resolutions and desiring change, I have to first see that all change starts with God.

His holy finger pointing out the corners of my soul that have grown dusty, dim.  That need holy light flooding. 

And me, I have to be willing to look.  I have to resolve to have good eyes.  Eyes that want to see the ugly grime of sin and are ready to allow His holy water to wash me clean again.  He is willing, if I only come, dive deep into the pool of His grace again.

Because, in this new year,
I want to be radiant and flooded with His light.





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Ungrateful Met Grace

When Love Rains Down

The Grace for the Tempted and Tried